Small Business Fire Safety Tips
One fire can completely destroy a company's finances and productivity. In severe instances, the risk can lead to a closure. In addition to ensuring you are compliant with all the fire safety codes, here are some tips to mitigate the threat fire poses to you business:
- Have the right equipment - make sure you have functioning smoke alarms and extinguishers in the workplace at all times. A fire suppression system is also recommended.
- Minimize flammable material in storage - packaging materials, paper files amd batteries, as well as other common office items, can be highly flammable. Minimize the amonth of these materials kept in the workplace, and safely store those that are kept.
- Manage electronics safely - when leaving for the day, always turn off everyting plugged into an outlet. Make sure electrical cords are not damaged as broken wires can start fired, and never allow circuits to be overloaded.
- Regularly check fire alarms - conduct monthly checks to ensure that all fire alarms, as well as the systems that monitor the building, are functioning properly. Alert employees therein to give them ample time to evacuate in the event of a fire.
- Have a written plan - write out a plan that includes evacuation protocols, fire prevention policies, emergency phone numbers and all other matters pertaining to procedures. Make sure all employees have access to the plan.