The Cause Behind Mold Odor in Eastern Honolulu
It is not uncommon for mold to accrue overtime in Hawai’i especially in eastern Honolulu. On our beautiful island, the damp summers, and ocean breezes are breeding grounds for toxins like mold or bacteria. Mold is a danger to all life forms, and needs the utmost care when being remedied. Thriving in damp areas that tend to be confined, it may be hard to even spot mold growth or spores. Additionally, mold can survive both in the air and on materials. Any biodegradable material, such as wood, dry wall, clothing, and flooring.
Before we enter the site for mold, residential and commercial owners alike can probably smell the problem. It might not be visible to the naked eye but there is a chemical that produces this smell: mycotoxin. This chemical emitted by mold spores tends to spread rapidly.
Mycotoxins have a very distinctive, malodorous odor with musty, swampy, or grungy notes. Mycotoxins attribute dangerous properties from being a microbial volatile organic compound-MVOC. Meaning a few defining characteristics:
- It is toxic, it is secretion from mold
- The scents vary with each mold type
- Potency of this toxin differs with each type and amount of mold
- It clings to skin and hair, this exposure is toxic
One of the main reasons as to why mold is a dangerous toxin that must be thoroughly cleaned is because of mycotoxins that mold spores release. For the sake of sanity some people simply remove the odor by masking it. Using perfumes, air freshers, or cleaning physical manifestations of mold. This only mitigates your smelling pleasures, whilst the mycotoxins are in the air.
SERVPRO of East Honolulu utilizes the newest technology to combat natural disasters and messes. One of them being HEPA air filtration devices. Cleaning furniture, clothing, and surfaces can get rid of your mold with the proper chemicals… but with mold it is simply not enough. Mold is an airborne spore meaning that although your surfaces are clean, the mold infestation can still be there. Using a HEPA filter takes the toxins in the air to be sucked into it and stay in the filter. This filter also takes care of the lingering odor even when everything else is disinfected. Bleach is not a good cleaner for mold, it does not get into porous materials like wood.
Call the professionals if you smell mold in your residential or commercial property in Eastern Honolulu. SERVPRO of Eastern Honolulu prides itself in holding IICRC cleaning standards. We also work with the state in passing properties as livable situations once we clean for mold. Mold remediation is no easy feat, and SERVPRO of Eastern Honolulu is here every step of the way. "Like it never even happened."
Hawaii Hurricane Season
As we all know, Hawaii weather is very dynamic and can change for the worse in a very short period. With hurricane season in Hawaii running from June 1 through November 30, proper preparation is important to ensure the safety of you and your family.
The National Weather Service will issue a Hurricane Watch if there is a threat of hurricane conditions within 36 hours. A Hurricane Warning is issued when sustained winds of 74 mph or more are expected in a specified area in 24 hours or less. A Hurricane warning can remain in effect when dangerously high water or high waves continue, even though winds may be less than 74 mph.
In the event of a hurricane, it is recommended to be prepared and assembly your Disaster Supply Kit. Non-perishable food, water, supplies and equipment should be assembled in one central location.
Create a Family Disaster Plan. In case of evacuation, make plans in advance to stay with friends or relatives who live inland or on higher ground. Learn the recommended evacuation routes from your home. Local broadcast stations or authorities will give the safest routes or to learn them ahead of time, contact your local emergency management office. Program important numbers into each family member's cellular phones and make a list of valuable possessions.
When a Hurricane Watch is issued for your area, check your Disaster Supply Kit and replenish anything that may be missing from your kit. Check and restock your supply of water if necessary. Make sure your car has a full tank of gas and is ready to go or if you have made arrangements for a ride, contact that person to reconfirm. Gather emergency papers in your home such as birth and marriage certificates, wills, insurance policies, deeds, etc. Place them in a waterproof container with your non-perishable food supply or put them in your safe deposit box.
For senior citizens, store at least a two-week supply of any medicines you may take. Also, be sure to have an extra pair of eyeglasses as well as extra hearing aid batteries.
If a hurricane is about to strike and you have not reached an emergency shelter, emergency procedures include taping or boarding up windows (or installing storm shutters), stay indoors and away from windows (even secured ones), shut off your main gas valve and the main power switch, and don't use your telephone or vehicles except in an emergency.
Make sure all objects on your lawn or patio are properly secured so that they cannot be picked up and carried away during high winds. Items such as: lawn furniture, garbage cans, garden tools, toys, signs, and other items can be very harmful and become missile-like weapons during high winds.
And lastly, ensuring the safety of all your loved ones also means making sure your pets are safe. Make sure your pets have received all their vaccinations. In case of an evacuation, pet shelters may require proof of vaccinations. Keep a current photograph of your pet as well as a collar with identification and a leash. Have a properly sized pet carrier for each animal. A proper pet carrier should be large enough for your animal to stand and turn around in.
You Want SERVPRO of East Honolulu to Mitigate!
On the tiny island of O'ahu, comparably, there are a vast variety of restoration companies. With the sea of information the internet offers, it seems like they are drawing each other out with the same guaranteed processes. SERVPRO of East Honolulu boasts many admirable traits that stick out from our competitors.
SERVPRO of East Honolulu is Locally Owned and Operated
As a franchise of SERVPRO we are locally owned but nationally supported, with a vast array of resources from our SERVPRO ohana. The years and experiences have shaped our company to accommodate our clients needs however niche it may be.
We are up to code for three entities, the state of Hawai’i, the IICRC and additionally SERVPRO headquarters. Having access to the best information out there on property restoration we can dry out, clean up, or remove parts of your house… "Like it never even happened."
Our Eastern Honolulu crew is growing with each year! We boast about our IICRC trained professionals, they are the backbone of our production integral to our customer’s safety and happiness. Disaster waits on no one, but we do! That is why we offer a 24/7 open phone line for emergency purposes. So even if the worst happens, we are second behind the authorities.
Preparing for Thunderstorms in Hawaii Kai
make sure that yours stays that way by being prepared for one!
While springtime on the beautiful island of Oahu has its perks, so do our thunderstorms.
Which come in all kinds of varieties: where as some part of the island is sunny with a slight drizzle, thirty minutes away there is rolling thunder and a sky caped with gray clouds.
Knowing certain tips may prevent storm damage, saving your infrastructure to see another rainy day.
Storms in Hawaii always have the capacity to wreak havoc on properties irregardless of stature and cost to build. Consequently- it is equally important for everyone to understand the capabilities thunderstorms have in relation to their home, property, work, or all. There are many symptoms of thunderstorms that can easily cause damage such as- downpours, hail, high winds, flash flooding, down trees, power lines…etc. Lightning is one of the most deadly reasons why thunderstorms should be taken seriously, as they are the most imminent natural disaster threat. Invariably less than hurricanes or tornadoes, other natural weather patterns that cause extreme damage.
It is a mindful habit to be connected with the island news, knowing weather patterns, traffic accidents, or general well-being information makes your job a lot easier in regards to preparation.
One of the easiest ways to make your property storm ready is to remove all objects that could be objectively raised off the ground if there were fast trade winds. Especially the families closer to the beach will have more peace of mind if all contents outside are stored away safely.
The best way to ensure that your contents are put away before a storm is to make a list of goods you know are outside. That way whenever there is a projected thunderstorm, or you start to hear the rolling clouds, there is no frazzled- half-hazardly scrambling occurring. Just a calm collection with a peace of mind… and maybe some tea!
Another way to protect your home from a thunderstorm is to make sure all your doors, windows, anything with potential to harbor anything from outside. Sealing windows, keeping doors locked through thunderstorms is a barrier between you and the chaos outside. If not contained storms may take a life of their own, hurling objects towards anything happening to be in the way.
Lastly, another great way to ensure that you have safe passage through a storm is to keep on top of your properties' greenery. Plants, shrubs, trees, they all have the potential to cause harm and destruction. Make sure that your property is trim and tidy. These can be fuel to the fire of a thunderstorm. Flying debris is no job especially if it is a 10ft tree limb.
Preparing, planning, devising an emergency plan for anything can seem like an uphill, arduous, anxious battle property owners and renters alike may not have life to think about.
But, you might not have to see us if you are prepared. And if you do end up at our door, or your door ends up hitting your property SERVPRO of East Honolulu is here to help.
Contact us whenever, however. We respond quickly via phone or our office email.
When disaster strikes no one can truly predict the outcome, SERVPRO of East Honolulu can help you with an agreeable one after the storm.
And when the flowers are soaking the divine rain, while your house may be hit with beach chairs after another; we will work hard to ensure it looks…"Like it never even happened."
Call us at (808)-395-9545
Dryer Safety Precautions
Dryers are an everyday conventional tool that is usually harmless.
But thousands of American homes, including ones in Hawai’i are privy to a dryer fire lest one continuously keeps these in mind. Throughout the lifetime of your dryer, there are many reasons that can go ary and leave someone with soot and smoke.
SERVPRO of East Honolulu accommodates our customers when disaster strikes. We can clean everything the fire touches, repair and replace your damaged materials. All the while keeping your contents safe and clean either in our storage or a storage brand we trust.
But before we ever go out… you can keep your home safe from a fire, here are a few tips to ensure you don’t ever see our technicians for a dryer fire.
- Precautions must be taken even while installing the dryer. It is important to understand the electric capacities of both your house and dryer. Most fires occur from the lack of maintenance.
- Continuously cleaning your dryer is the best way to mitigate a fire. Most dryer fires are started by the lint accumulation in the lint trap. When there is too much lint it is more prone to catching a flame. Every few uses the lint trap should be cleared, that way down the line everything is safe. The back of the dryer may also contain buildup, cleaning your exhaust/vent pipe 2-3 a year is also crucial to maintaining safety.
- Properly using your dryer is the most important tip for safety. Overloading your dryer means there are too many clothes to dry and is also dangerous. Make sure that rubber, plastic, foam and other flammable chemicals are not placed into the dryer. This is a known way to cause fires. Other chemicals to consider when putting your clothes in the dryer are alcohol, gas, and other liquids that hold the potential to start a fire.
- Routinely checking on the health of your dryer will ensure that it is in the best shape possible.
- One should change their dryer every 5-10 years.
Dryer fires are completely preventable if homeowners and renters alike understand the maintenance needed to properly utilize these machines. One can not always be on top of danger, so if a dryer fire does occur… Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of East Honolulu. We are available 24/7 for emergencies at (808)-395-9545
Common Instances of Water Damage
There are four general reasons as to why water damage occurs in a residential property- whether it is an apartment or house alike.
Indicators of water damage are universal, yet the whole restoration process needs to be curtailed to the niche property it occurs on.
That’s why you contact us, SERVPRO of East Honolulu when disaster strikes. We can ensure that the proper treatment is issued for your home, and your ohana is safe… "Like it never even happened."
These are the four main causes of water damages we encounter in the East Honolulu area.
Water build-up is the silent yet deadly handling of water damage. It comes over time, slowly, without the owner noticing the longest. Any amount of leakage from your pipes increases your water bill. Water pooling from the resulting leak tends to also remain hidden to any user of the pipes. Virtually, most leaks have to be sought after. Which is why a spike in your water bill is the best indicator of a leak without physically seeing it. Habitually look at any of your pipes, if there are any too cool areas inside your home or mold growth in dusty corners. It makes all the difference catching a water leak sooner rather than later.
The most destructive way a home can receive water damage. This is caused by high-pressure and a small hole in the pipe.Even the tiniest of cracks can cause a pipe to burst if over exerted. In a matter of hours, or minutes your whole property can be flooded with any pipe's contents.
Weather wear can also lead to various water damages, make sure that you know your local weather. As it is different for different parts of the island. Make sure that you are proactive in protecting your housing materials. This is the best way to stop damage. It is not fun being prepared for the worst case scenario, but it is always better to be overdressed than under.
The last most common water damage we are going to talk about are malfunctioning appliances. Anything from an outdated refrigerator or copper pipes can be considered faulty appliances. There are tons of building materials that are outdated or ineffective after a while, which can cause major issues. Make sure that your house is refurbished to maintain the integrity of your property.
But if all else fails, your friendly, neighborhood technicians are always willing to come help clean it up… "Like it never even happened." Call us at (808)-395-9545 with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Smoke Alarm Basics
There are thousands of home fires in the U.S. every year, which result in roughly 3,000 deaths annually. Almost half of these deaths resulted from fires that were reported between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., the time period in which most people sleep. For this reason, providing smoke alarms in bedrooms may be the single most important step toward preventing fire-related casualties in residential buildings.
Smoke Alarm Basics
- Install at least one smoke alarm in every bedroom
- Install additional smoke alarms in hallways and common areas in the vicinity of bedrooms
- Install at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home
- Make sure the smoke alarms within your home are interconnected so the activation of one alarm will activate all alarms within the home
- Try to use smoke alarms powered by the building electrical system, which have a battery for backup power … However, if this type of smoke alarm is not available, battery-powered units are certainly better than not having smoke alarms
Smoke Alarm Installation
- Install smoke alarms on ceilings whenever possible
- Locate any smoke alarms installed on walls at least four inches below the ceiling
- Locate any smoke alarms installed on walls no more than 12 inches below the ceiling
- Do not install smoke alarms in the corners of rooms
- Do not install smoke alarms next to air-conditioning vents, heating vents, or ceiling fans, to ensure proper functioning of the unit
- Do not install smoke alarms in kitchens or bathrooms, to prevent false alarms
Smoke Alarm Maintenance
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month, by pressing the button on the alarm that allows you to test the unit
- Smoke alarms with non-replaceable 10-year batteries are designed to remain effective for up to 10 years. If the alarm chirps, warning that the battery is low, replace the entire smoke alarm right away
- Smoke alarms with any other type of battery need a new battery at least once a year. If the alarm chirps, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years
Laundry equipment is often overlooked when addressing the issue of home fire safety. However, laundry appliances pose a serious fire risk because they involve electricity, and the combination of combustible clothing and extremely hot temperatures. The vast majority of laundry fires are caused by dryers that are not cleaned properly.
Dryer Safety Basics
- Have dryers installed and serviced by a competent professional
- Have gas-powered washers and dryers inspected periodically by a professional to ensure the gas line and its connection are intact
- Make sure that the dryer is plugged into an outlet that meets its electrical needs, so it doesn’t overload the outlet and trip circuit breakers or blow fuses
- Keep the area around the dryer clear of boxes, clothing, and other combustibles
- Turn the dryer off when leaving home
- Do not operate the dryer without a lint filter
- Clean lint filters before or after each use, and remove any lint from around the dryer drum
- Make sure the dryer exhausts into the exterior or into a listed water trap
- Inspect the area around the dryer for accumulations of lint, paying special attention to the area behind the dryer, and remove any lint you notice
- Inspect the flexible exhaust duct (if your dryer has one), and remove lint accumulations on a periodic basis
Full-Service Restoration Company
Start Your Commercial Restoration Today! Call us at 808-395-9545
Since the start of SERVPRO of East Honolulu, we have been here for our community, serving both families and business recover from fire, water, or storm damage. Our vast knowledge on what is affecting our community most on water, fire damage and cleaning services instills a culture of change. We are constantly evolving our technique, ensuring that our customers get the best and most efficient way possible to mitigate their problems.
"Like it never even happened."
The technicians of SERVPRO of East Honolulu are expertly trained not only in disaster mitigation but in commercial general reconstruction services. After we’ve dried your building, removed odors, and cleaned contents, we’ll transition smoothly into the commercial restoration phase of your project.
Not only are we equipped for your disaster's needs, but our technicians are also trained professionals with IICRC certifications and instilled in SERVPRO work values. Here, we get the job done as soon as possible, as transparent as possible, for your convenience. Our technicians will know how and where you need our services and equipment. From restoring flooded hotel rooms to reopening fire-damaged restaurants, our craftsmen have the expertise, training, and equipment to successfully complete any type of commercial restoration.
To ensure a smooth experience from start to finish, SERVPRO of East Honolulu works closely with our clients throughout the commercial general remodeling process.
We’ll return your property to preloss condition by creating a customized, quick, and cost-effective plan based on our range of general reconstruction services:
- Complete Debris Removal
- Structural Damage Assessment
- Repair Versus Replacement Assessment
- Building and Property Demolition
- Smoke and Fire Damage Reconstruction
- Water Damage Reconstruction
Full-Service Restoration Company
SERVPRO of East Honolulu is your one stop solution to property damage restoration. From initial response through to returning your commercial property or home to preloss condition, SERVPRO of East Honolulu, provides the following services:
- 24/7 emergency response
- Emergency Water Removal
- Mold Removal & Remediation
- Storage services
- Document Restoration
- Asbestos Removal
- Odor Removal
Start Your Commercial Restoration Today! Call us at 808-395-9545
Who you gonna call?
When it comes to protecting your commercial property, there is nobody more trusted than the experts at SERVPRO of East Honolulu. To find out more about our commercial restoration services, just give us a call today 808-395-9545
- 24/7 Emergency Services – With expert coordination and professionally trained crews, we will respond to your business emergency ASAP!
- Water Damage – From a simple condo bathroom to a completely flooded hotel, we are equipped to deal with water damage of any size.
- Mold Removal – Mold is tricky and can be expensive if not dealt with correctly. We have done some of the state’s largest and most complicated mold remediation jobs. Trust in us, not just to get rid of existing mold, but also to make sure that new mold won’t develop.
- Fire & Smoke Damage – A fire of any size can bring your life or business to a halt. Minimize the impact to your world with our highly efficient fire and smoke damage services.
- Structural Drying – We use state of the art equipment to thoroughly dry complex commercial structures from the inside out!
- Content Storage Services – SERVPRO of East Honolulu offers complete packing, inventory, and relocation services for our commercial customers during the repair and mitigation process.
- Document Restoration – Our highly-trained staff provides premier restoration services for documents damaged by water, smoke, or sewage.
- Reconstruction – SERVPRO of East Honolulu’s inclusive reconstructive services, you will never have to wonder who will finish the job.
- Air Duct Cleaning – Eradicate odors, allergens, and microbial hazards with professional air duct cleaning and treatment.
- Temporary HVAC – SERVPRO of East Honolulu offers temporary engineering controls to supplement or replace the existing HVAC in your building.
- Odor Control – We don’t cover up odors – we eliminate them with our forensic identification process and safe, efficient remediation services
- Dehumidification Services – Prevent future issues from water damage with our extensive dehumidification services.
- Asbestos Abatement – In the last 20 years, SERVPRO of East Honolulu has completed many restoration and reconstruction projects that had been interrupted or were at a standstill due to asbestos removal problems.