10 Signs of home water damage
Sometimes, large water damage problems start out small. Given enough time, a tiny leak can ruin a ceiling or flood a basement. Stay on the lookout for these signs of trouble inside and outside the house.
1. Ring-like stains on ceilings may be caused by loose shingles or flashing problems on the roof.
2. Damp insulation in the attic is another a sign of water leaking through the roof.
3. Blistered paint and peeling paper often indicate water damage in the walls of your home.
4. Warped or loose baseboards are also signs of water damage hiding inside walls.
5. Soft spots in floors, especially around bathtubs, occur when plumbing fixtures fail.
6. Tile or laminated wood floors warp and crack when exposed to moisture for long periods of time.
7. Mold and watermarks under sinks may be the result of faulty supply lines or fixtures.
8. Persistent, musty smells can be signs of hidden water damage in the house.
9. Basement walls can stain and crack due to water accumulation around the foundation.
10. Clogged gutters often spill rain and debris down exterior walls, soaking window and door frames.